RVs are a convenient way to travel when you want to take long road trips without stopping at a hotel. They come in different classes and styles. Some are motorized and some attach to your truck as a trailer.  It’s a great means of transportation for family vacations, too! Unlike motorhomes, RVs require less maintenance, but there are still certain things worth keeping up on that would keep the RV owner in the legal safe zone when on the road. Although you don’t technically need RV insurance, it’s a wise investment to have. Here’s why.

Motorhomes vs. RVs

Motorhomes are like mini homes-on-the-go. They can have pull-down beds, a small kitchen space, and bathroom amenities, among more. RVs (recreational vehicles) are motorized or attached to trucks or vans. They have minor amenities. Although they can be customized and renovated, RVs don’t usually have beds or kitchen appliances (because then it’s considered a motorhome). There are two different types of RVs: motorized (that are further divided into 3 to 4 classes), and towable. Towable RVs are convenient for those just starting out. Tent trailers or pop-ups fold up easily, are less expensive than motorhomes, and still provide the comfortable setting of a traditional trailer. Another RV type is the fifth wheel. These can get expensive, depending on your style. Fifth wheels are exactly that. They have a fifth wheel which provides more ability to host amenities than an RV. They are heavy duty  and require the use of a truck only. Sport utility RVs are popular because many who go on vacation want to tow their bikes or sport vehicles along. This type of RV makes it possible both to tow sport bikes and have sleeping accommodation available.

Which Class of RV Do I Have?

If you’re new to motorhomes or RVs, you may be asking yourself what kind of class you have, or you may know very little about what you do have. Either way, you’ll fall into one of three classes of motorhomes. Class A motorhomes are standard with a full cab and six wheels, and they are convenient for camping. Those who want to move about during transport can do so with ease. It’s a common RV for those just starting out. The class B RVs can start out looking like a van and then gradually increase in size with modifications. For example, the owner can increase the width and height by adding appliances. This process is called retrofitting. Class C RVs appear more like a truck than a van, with the bunk overhead hanging over the roof. This model is extended for appliances and extra space.

What Kind of RV Insurance Do I Need?

Your recreational vehicle is just that – a recreational means of transportation for vacations, slightly elevated to make travel convenient for you and your family. Maybe that list of RV class types will help you better understand which category your RV falls under. Again, you don’t actually need RV insurance in some states, but it is a worthy investment. Depending on if you’re a full time or part time resident, your state may require 20/40/10, which covers $20,000 per person, $40,000 per accident, and $10,000 for property damage. The type of coverage you’ll need will depend on your type of RV. A motorized RV will require liability coverage for the road. But if you’re pulling an RV trailer, your auto insurance transfers to the tow as part of the same vehicle. Keep in mind that your insurance will be determined by the way you use your vehicle, too.

You won’t regret  having RV insurance, even if you get moderate coverage. Your insurance provider can assist you with choosing the correct plan for your lifestyle, and even modify it for your future needs. Contact our team at Triple L Insurance for your RV insurance quote today!